Pages

Friday 27 November 2015

Making A Chain

Making a Chain


WALT: 1) Write a recount.
           2) Integrate maths and writing.


On Monday morning, our class made some paper chains.  The purpose for making paper chains was to see who could make the longest chain out of A5 paper.  We had to cut the paper to make the longest chain.  We also had to make a pattern with the two A5 papers, red and green.  My partner was Munokoa.


The first thing we had to do was to estimate how long each of our paper chains were.  When I estimated mine, I thought it was going to be at least 3 metre long because of how I was going to cut it.  The pattern we decided to make was 3 green and 3 red.
IMG_4074.JPG
Next, Munokoa and I had to think about how long we were going to cut the strips.  We decided to use the width of the A5 papers so that we could get short but thin strips to make our chain long.  It was a good idea because most of the other students cut their strips into big and fat strips.  
FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender.jpg
Thereafter, we all finished our chains.  We then measured how long each one was using a metre ruler.  Munokoa and I made the longest chain.  It measured 3 metres and 20 cm.  My estimation for my chain was at least 3 metres long so I think I had the closest estimation.


Finally, we recorded each of the chains we made in our class.  By recording the measurements of the chains, we compared all of the chains students made in the class.  The longest was 3 metres and 20 cm and the shortest was 86 cm.

Although my chain was the longest, it was the thinnest chain out of all the other chains.  Everyone else made a chain the was short but was bigger than ours.  I learned that if you make cut smaller strips to make a chain, the smaller the longer and the bigger the shorter.

0 comments:

Post a Comment